Going on road trips or camping is so much better with RVs as they give you the freedom of choosing where to stop, selecting a suitable layout for your trip, and overall control over your travels. However, there are different things to consider before you head out on your next adventure.
There are a lot of motorhome classes available including the class a b c motorhomes, fifth wheel, and even travel trailers. So, we will be taking an extensive look at the class A motorhome to help you decide if it is the perfect motorhome class that is best suited for your needs.
What Is A Class-A Motorhome?
A Class-A motorhome is a self-propelled motorhome class that comes with either a diesel or gas powertrain. The A-class motorhome comes with all the amenities and all the luxuries you need to have an enjoyable camping trip.
In addition to that, these motorhomes often feature multiple slide-outs, with an average of two slide-outs per campervan. This gives it that extra space but still keeps it compact enough to fit in the road lane.
How Is An A-Class Motorhome Constructed?
The A-class motorhome comes with a bare chassis, then the living space is built on top of the chassis. This is why motorhome shapes vary from one manufacturer to the other. The class A recreational vehicle is usually constructed and designed from the chassis upwards.
The frames used in building the A-class motorhomes are very sturdy and durable. These frames can be built on a motor vehicle chassis, a commercial truck chassis, or a commercial bus chassis.
What Are The Technical Specifications Of Class A Motorhomes?
This is a general guide to give you an idea of the specifications of Class A motorhomes;
Class As are the longest of the three classes and have an average length of 28 to 45 feet.
What is the most popular length Class A motorhome?
The 33-ft range is an increasingly popular length for the Class A motorhome.
The A-class motorhomes vary a bit in height and have an average height range of 11 to 13 feet.
The gross vehicle weight of Class A RVs fall between 3.5 tonnes and above 7.5 tonnes.
The Class-A motorhomes tend to have enough sleeping space for up to eight people and in some cases could accommodate 10 people.
Light Class A RVs will have a tank capacity of about 80 gallons, while the larger models can have up to 150 gallons.
What Engine Is In A Class-A Motorhome?
An A-class motorhome can be powered by either a gas or diesel engine. Diesel engine motorhomes (diesel pushers) are usually more expensive than their gas counterparts.
What Are The Features And Amenities Typically Found In A Class A Motorhome?
These are the essential features and amenities you can find in an A-class RV;
- Living area
- Sleeping area
- Self-contained washer
- Self-contained toilets
- Selected floor plans
- Include an exterior kitchen
- Entertaining spaces
- Refrigerators and ovens
- High-tech features such as advanced sound systems
- Built-in GPS navigation
- Large storage compartments
- Outdoor entertainment systems
What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of A Class A Motorhome?
These are the benefits and downsides to using an A-class motorhome for travelling.
- The living quarters have improved comfort levels to enjoy a good quality sleep and overall living style.
- Comes with an integrated cab for more living space.
- Their large living spaces are better for larger families.
- They come with amenities like bathrooms, heating and air conditioning, televisions, and fridges for fully self-contained travel.
- It has less fuel efficiency.
- You need to find larger RV parks because of the size.
- They are a more expensive option.
- You might need to tow along a small car if you want to explore other areas.
How Much Does A Class A Motorhome Cost?
These are the general price ranges for A-class motorhomes. But it is important to keep in mind that there are different factors that affect the price.
If you are looking to purchase a new motorhome in the A-class category then you should expect to spend about £100,000 to £150,000 for a base model.
To buy used A-class motorhomes, you should budget around £80,000 to £150,000, depending on the features.
What are the most expensive Class A motorhomes?
Class A motorhomes like the Marchi Mobile EleMMent Palazzo and the Country Coach Prevost are among the most expensive and could cost millions to obtain.
What Is The Life Expectancy Of A Class A Motorhome?
The estimated lifespan of A-class motorhomes fall between 10 and 20 years. Life expectancy can also be measured using gas mileage. How many miles your camper van can cover depends on how well you maintain it as regular maintenance can extend the lifespan.
What Are Some Of The Key Factors To Consider When Choosing A Class A Motorhome?
When you are looking to choose camper vans in the A-class motorhome category, these are some of the important factors to look out for.
- Size: Choose your motorhome depending on how much space you need and the types of road tours you will be taking. Determine how many people will be in your travel plans as you will need more space for larger groups.
- Floor plan: You should choose a floor plan with 2 or more district zones except if you plan to RV solo.
- Budget: Map out a budget before looking for the right RV and it makes sense to stick by it.
- Features and amenities: Check out the features of your potential RV and see if they are essential for your travelling needs.
- Manufacturer: You should always go for a trusted manufacturer when choosing any motorhome type.
- New or used: The used motorhome is much kinder on your bank account and you should consider that.
- Driving and manoeuvrability: You should pick a Class-A motorhome that you can easily handle.
Do I Need A Special Licence To Drive A Class A Motorhome?
The Class A motorhome is a large van and as such you need to check what type of licence you require using your age and your vehicle’s maximum authorised mass. You need to obtain a c1 category licence if your vehicle has an MAM of 3.5 to 7.5 tonnes. If it exceeds 7.5 tonnes, then you will need a category C licence.
Can You Drive An A-Class Motorhome On A Car Licence?
A car licence is not enough to operate a Class-A motorhome. If you wish to drive an A-class motorhome, then it is required to get a c1 category licence.
Is An A-Class Motorhome Easy To Drive?
Due to their chassis type, weight, and length, it could take some time to get used to driving a class-A motorhome. However, when you get used to the pivot point, wheel cut, and other technical things, it shouldn’t be difficult to drive.
Can You Tow With A Class-A motorhome?
You can make use of your A-class motorhome as a towing vehicle. However, make sure you do not exceed the towing capacity to prevent damaging the RV.
What Is The Difference Between A And B-Class Motorhomes?
The main difference between these two different classes comes down to the chassis used to create them. The class b motorhome is built on a small truck or van chassis, while the Class A is built on a commercial vehicle chassis.
The class b campervan is a smaller vehicle that is ideal for a road trip where you will need to manoeuvre congested streets and smaller roads. The A-class is part of the big guys and gives you more amenities like cooking facilities and all the creature comforts you need to explore the great outdoors.
Why Is Class A Better Than Class B?
Some reasons to pick class A motorhomes over class B motorhomes(van conversions) include;
- They are larger motorhomes, which means that you have more room for your personal belongings and other stuff.
- Class b campervans don’t have as much storage space as the other classes.
What’s The Difference Between A Class A And A Class C Motorhome?
- The A-class motorhome is generally wider and taller than the class C RV
- The A-class also tends to be more residential on the inside.
- Typically, the class As have enough room to spread out, while the class c van campers are more space conscious.
Class-A motorhomes are luxury motorhomes that are considered to be at the top when it comes to the motorhomes range. While they are luxurious recreational vehicles, there are also some affordable and lighter models available.
Discover the ultimate road trip experience with Oaktree Motorhomes! Explore our exceptional range of A-class motorhomes for sale at unbeatable prices. With over 60 years of experience, 10,000+ satisfied customers, and a 5-star reputation, we’re the go-to dealer for all your motorhome needs.
Call 01159 303 140 today to learn more or schedule a test drive!